Monday, November 7, 2011

Mustache Mani Monday!

Hello everyone! I hope you are having a good Monday so far. As mentioned in a previous post (you can see it HERE if you missed it) some of my Facebook friends and fellow bloggers decided to do a "Mustache Mani Monday" today in support of Men's Health and Prostate Cancer Research. Men are encouraged to refrain from shaving in November and it is called "Movember" (much the same way women are encouraged to wear pink in October in support of  Breast Cancer Awareness). 

As I have mentioned before, I am horrible at nail art. I can do tape manis and dotting but you can forget freehand. I did freehand these mustaches. I spent 3 hours re-doing them and this was the best I could come up with. My thumb was the very first nail I did and I was happy with it. I was thinking this might actually be easy. WRONG. I ended up getting 4 fairly decent mustaches and by this time I needed to go to bed so I just went with black on my other nails. I waited 30 minutes before adding a topcoat and it still smeared my ring finger, which was my favorite one.

I started off with 2 coats of OPI Malaysian Mist. My bottle of Malaysian Mist is very old, I would guess 10-12 years old. It is the smelly, black-label version with the old brush and it took FOREVER to dry. I have a swatch of this by itself first, before I added any nail art.


OPI Malaysian Mist by itself...


 Mannequin hands

For the black I used Sally Hansen Black Out. This black is pretty thick, even with thinner. It is not my favorite, I need to get some OPI Black Onyx. I topped off the mani with my new Color Club top coat, which is nice, it's thick and shiny but it wasn't a fast dry.





What do you think of my "fail art"?  I wish I was a better artist but I had fun trying! Don't forget to send in pictures of your mustache manis to polishaddicted@gmail.com. I will feature them on my blog next Monday, November 14th.

13 comments :

  1. I'm trying to ease my way into free hand nail art as well. If you want, you can check out this awesome tutorial on youtube about mustache nails. Just look up "cutepolish" on youtube:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the tutorial I followed...or attempted to. LOL The video is in my first post about this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did it good too!! Those suckers are much harder than she makes it look lmao

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are too kind!! Thank you though!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL!!! E for effort Ashley! I can tell they are moustaches! Good job! <3 And thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think they look fine. It was fun to try something new, right? That's how we build our skills. As if we'll ever draw mustaches on our nails ever again. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL Patricia....maybe next "Movember"!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really nice :)You're not worst than me for sure,lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww...thank you ptitemeve :) Do you have a blog? I don't see one under your profile. I will follow if you tell me you have one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice mani! I think this was a great idea. I know I had a lot of fun and giggles with this one. :) I'd love to hear what you think of my take on it.

    Lisa
    http://lisasdistractions.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from you but please remember to be respectful. Any comments left with unsolicited advertising or blog links will be deleted. If you would like me to check out your blog or product, please email me. Thank you!

09 10