Saturday, January 14, 2012

My Honest and Unbiased Review of Orly Nail Rescue Kit



Hello lovely readers! I have a review of the Orly Nail Rescue Kit I purchased at Sally's last weekend, if you missed my mini haul you can see it HERE. Here is a pic of the Nail Rescue Kit.



I had heard that in addition to fixing broken nails this kit could also be used to help strengthen weak nails. My nails are pretty weak, although they are stronger now than before I started blogging. I decided I would try adding it to my tips to see if it would strengthen them long enough to get them to grow out some. In the past anytime I would get them to a length I liked one of them would inevitably break and I would have to chop them all down to nubs again.

The contents of this kit are pretty simple...nail glue, acrylic powder and a buffer. These are all things you can get without purchasing this kit, but with it being available at Sally's it makes it where pretty much everyone has access to it. 

I added the powder to all 10 of my nails. You just simply brush on the glue and dip your finger in the powder. You are then supposed to use the supplied buffer, this is a joke. It is so smooth that it doesn't accomplish much of anything. I used my own buffer and it took me FOREVER to get it smooth enough for me to be happy with it. I literally spent several hours getting them smooth. Anyways, after I finally did, I painted my nails (of course LOL) and I was happy with the looks of them. This is where my happiness started and stopped with this kit.

Not too long after finishing my mani the acrylic started chipping on a couple of my nails. Of course this messed up the look of my mani, it chipped the polish plus I could not simply re-paint or touch up the nail because the acrylic was chipped and my nail was uneven. 

But, even with this, the worst part was that when the acrylic chipped it took part of my nail with it. :( It tore off the end and then peeled it the rest of the way. I have had this happen on several nails now, luckily none of them are my swatching nails but I have yet to take it off of those nails.  I am trying to decide if it is better to take my chances and let it grow out or if I should remove it with acetone.

I have worked hard in the last few months trying to get my nails stronger and longer (well actually forever but more intensely since I started blogging) and this really saddens me. I will not be using this kit again. If you want to use it for only broken ones it would probable be ok, just keep in mind what I have said about the chipping and peeling.

Please keep in mind this is my own personal experience with this product, I know others who love it. This is in no way a negative reflection on Orly either.  I LOVE Orly, their polish, treatments and top and base coats are some of my favorites.









Pin It

12 comments :

  1. Awww I'm really sad this didn't work for you. I've been using it to reinforce peeled areas (which is what I get for slacking where my treatment products are concerned) and it's like a miracle for me! I also use it on actual breaks and it's been great for that as well. Since it works so wonderfully for me I want it to work for everyone! LOL. On a slightly more serious note, really if it's not agreeing with you I'd definitely go ahead and remove it though. I would think that the acetone to remove the glue would probably be better in the long run than the possible damage and peeling from it coming off on its own. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had this problem when I first started using it but after a while I realized that I needed to reinforce the area by using three coats of the powder/glue combo. I'm not able to cover my whole nail with this stuff either. It's just too hard to take off! So I only use it on the broken areas I'm trying to patch together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've noticed those "nail-shells-in-a-kit" products just ruin your nails rather than help them. I'm currently rehabing my nails (for the past couple months) because Nutra Nail's gel polish kit completely tore up my nails and they've been peeling and cracking ever since. I would just stick to hardening polishes and strengthening formulas - much easier and less disappoint in the end.
    Great review - appreciated your honesty and that you shared your experience in detail <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a bad experience with the NutraNail gel product.

      Delete
  4. OH NO!!! I'm sad you weren't as in love as me!!! I didn't paint it on the whole nail. I just painted the break. And yeah, the file they give you sucks!!! And they suggest in the directions that you "double dip" the break. This is a necessary step. They really should make it part of the instructions. My breaks would split back open ten seconds later if I didn't do this. I don't like to use them on all my nails or on the whole nail. To me, that's cheating. Why not just get acrylics, right?? I have two problem nails and the occasional but very seldom break of any other nail. So this product was JUST what I needed. I've never used anything like it. If I were you, I'd save this product for the occasional break. NOT as a hardener. And like I said, the instructions, along with the crusty bottle that gets stuck, along with the crappy nail file, need some adjustments, but I've managed to tailor this product to be perfect for what I use it for. I hope you give it another shot, next time you chip or break. It really is a lifesaver! :) Good luck dear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm so sad to read this, to help your nails grow a little bit more, give yourself a manicure or at least push the cuticules back, remove the acrylic of your nails because it's not going to help, acrylic and gel make ur nails weak and thin, the best thing to do with this kit is to only use it for broken nails.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry this happened to your nails! I'm always on the lookout for products to strengthen my nails and have yet to find one that actually helps. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH NO!! What a bummer!! >:(
    I'm really sorry to hear what happened. I would probably try to remove the rest with acetone if it were me so it wouldn't crack and peel off even more. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had one nail split and I cut it off because it was driving my crazy, than had another nail (same hand) start to do the same thing.Stress messes up so many things. The tea bag method didn't work so I did a little research, and than ran to strong nails, Biotin (drink with lots of water), an oil (avocado oil is my fav) and Nail Magic. Give it at least a month. I have the results on my page Sallys. I fixed the small split on the one nail and than figured I would see if I could reattach the other nail. So far so good. I suggest three things for growing http://www.honeybrn.us/nails.htm . I am still amazed at the results. I would not suggest putting anything so permanent as gel or acrylic on your entire nail. You nails need time to breath even if just over night. Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this product. I only use it on nails that are broken/split. I use 2 layers. It held for 2 weeks on my nails.!! I clean my nails first with pure aceton, so they are free of oil etc.
    This is so much easier than use glue and silkwraps.
    I love it.
    The file sucks indeed. And it take time to smoothen the nails, but after that the result is so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is highly informatics, crisp and clear. I think that everything has been described in systematic manner so that reader could get maximum information and learn many things. well pressure tank air pressure

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from you but please remember to be respectful. Any comments left with unsolicited advertising or blog links will be deleted. If you would like me to check out your blog or product, please email me. Thank you!

09 10