Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Cruelty-Free Update


I am saddened by the need to write this post. If you have read my blog for very long, or taken a peek around at various different pages on my blog, you know that I strive to purchase only Cruelty-Free products. There are many drugstore brands that I don't buy because either the brand itself, or the parent company of the brand, is not cruelty-free.(To see my list of companies that do or do not test, click on the link at the top of my blog.)

I have taken to buying a lot of 3 specific drugstore brands because they were cruelty-free (and also had great polish) but I will no longer be purchasing any of those brands. Revlon, a company that stopped animal testing in 1989, has resumed testing to sell their products in Asia (where animal testing is required). In the past few months, Revlon purchased both Sinful Colors and Bari Cosmetics, who owns Pure Ice and Bon Bons brands.  This means I will no longer be purchasing any of these brands - three of my favorite brands. It really saddens me that Revlon felt the need to sell out just to make a bigger profit margin. I guess that's the nature of the beast though. They certainly aren't the first company to start testing so that their products could be sold in Asia.

I have been researching all of this information for a while because I did not want to make a rush decision and falsely accuse these companies without feeling like I had 100% proof. I felt the need to post this so that people would know what was happening with these companies and so they can make their own informed decisions. I do not condemn anyone for purchasing these brands and I am not trying to sway opinions - just stating my own.



.


14 comments :

  1. Required in Asia? That's messed up. Anyway we could make enough noise that they'd stop? Pure Ice and Sinful Colors are my favorite brands, UGH UGH UGH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know animal testing was a requirement in Asia. That's shocking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What sorts of testing do they do on the animals? Could you post links so that we could see, too? Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, I would rather not post that type of content on my blog as it is very sad. You can find answers to this question by doing a simple Google search though. But be prepared because some links are very graphic.

      Delete
  4. Animal testing is so awful. Those poor animals! Kelly, you can Google it but be warned, it's disturbing!

    I'm vegan so naturally, cruelty free as well. I have a list of vegan brands on my blog, if you're interested :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This might be a stupid question but will yo still be using and showing the polishes you already have by these brands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a stupid question. I will not be "featuring" these brands anymore (as in they won't be my focal point of my mani) but I do still use them. I don't throw out the polish I have already purchased because that would be wasteful. If I use them in posts I always put a disclaimer about purchasing either before I was CF or before the company's policy changed.

      Delete
  6. I never understand why in Asia animal testing is required. If they found a way to safely test their products in a way that doesn't involve animals, why isn't that good enough? Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew about the Revlon thing at about Christmas. Peta had this letter you could send them. The hard part is the Pure Ice. It's such a beautiful polish for such a good price. But you are right in not supporting them. I was hoping that since Europe will put anti-testing in place this year, some of these companies would reform. Between not buying OPI anymore and now Pure Ice-it's hard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we should all email Revlon about the switch and let them know we are all posting it on our blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also do you have a link that we can share on our blogs

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from you but please remember to be respectful. Any comments left with unsolicited advertising or blog links will be deleted. If you would like me to check out your blog or product, please email me. Thank you!

09 10