Monday, November 12, 2012

Maya Cosmetics What Kind of Party? Collection - Swatches and Review

Hello everyone! How about a brand new indie collection to brighten up your Monday? There are 3 lovely polishes in this collection - all glitters, but all very different. I also have a glitter topper created by Maya's creator, Kat, and I will review that over the last polish. 


First up tonight is Shindig. This one is white and gold square glitters along with short white bar glitter. There is also a lovely gold shimmer in the base that I had a hard time capturing in the photos. This is a very classy glitter and I loved the combo I have here. I may have just found my Thanksgiving nails! The formula was very nice - the glitters are somewhat sparse but I actually like that - I don't always want a glitterbomb. (Well, if you know me, you know I rarely want a glitterbomb but you get the point. LOL) I used two coats over OPI Chopsticking To My Story and topped it off with one coat of Poshe. This is not a hungry glitter - it was perfectly smooth after the coat of Poshe. 



Maya Shindig over OPI Chopsticking To My Story - in the sun

Maya Shindig over OPI Chopsticking To My Story - in the sun

Maya Shindig over OPI Chopsticking To My Story - in the shade

Maya Shindig over OPI Chopsticking To My Story - in the shade

Maya Shindig over OPI Chopsticking To My Story - in the sun

Maya Shindig over OPI Chopsticking To My Story - in the sun

------------------------------------------

Next up we have Gathering. This one is more of a shimmer topper with micro flakes instead of what I would call a glitter - that is just my opinion though. I DO know that whatever it is, it is GORGEOUS! My pictures don't do this one justice - the way it shimmers as you move your fingers just makes you stare. If you like shimmer and shine you definitely need this polish. I used one coat on my index and ring fingers and two coats on my middle finger and pinky over Ulta Howl At The Moon. I couldn't tell that the second coat made that much of a difference - one coat gave a lot of shimmer. The formula was great, nothing bad to report at all. 

Maya Gathering over Ulta Howl At The Moon - in the shade

Maya Gathering over Ulta Howl At The Moon - in the shade

Maya Gathering over Ulta Howl At The Moon - in the shade

Maya Gathering over Ulta Howl At The Moon - in the sun

Maya Gathering over Ulta Howl At The Moon - in the sun

Maya Gathering over Ulta Howl At The Moon - under artificial lighting

-----------------------------------------------------

Lastly we have Hootenanny. This is the glitterbomb of the 3 and I actually LOVE it! It is a grey-based glitter with holo glitter as well as blues, pinks, greens and some black (I *think*) in there as well. I love grey polish so this is right up my alley. This one is very densely packed but application was a breeze! I used 3 coats by itself on my ring finger and one coat over a grey creme (Nails Inc. Paddington) on all other nails. 

I used Kat's glitter topper over this one. This is not meant to be a "top coat" - it is meant to smooth out gritty, hungry glitters before top coat so you don't have to use 10 million coats of top coat. I applied the glitter topper and took pics before I attempted to add a top coat. As you can see, the glitter looks perfectly smooth and shiny. I really liked it - I think it did a better job than Gelous. It does stay "tacky" and it does smell very strongly - kind of like super glue. LOL But it was not overpowering to me and I am very sensitive to smells. Once you add a coat of top coat (I used Poshe) it dries quickly and to a high shine. 

Maya Hootenanny in the shade

Maya Hootenanny in the shade

Maya Hootenanny in the shade

Maya Hootenanny in the sun

Maya Hootenanny in the sun

Maya Hootenanny under artificial lighting

Maya Hootenanny under artificial lighting

Maya Hootenanny under artificial lighting

Maya Hootenanny under artificial lighting

What are your thoughts on this collection? I am very impressed and highly recommend them!

Maya Cosmetics polishes sell for $8 for a full size 15 ml bottle. This collection will be available on November 15th.  You can purchase through her website here. Also make sure to follow via FacebookTwitter and her blog to stay up-to-date on stock and collection information!

Sale AlertFrom November 15th through November 25th, the entire What Kind of Party? Collection will be only $20 (plus shipping!)

You can see pics of more new polishes from Maya at the following links: 

Adventures in Acetone
Cosmetic Sanctuary
Pointless Cafe - What Kind of Party? Collection and Nefarious Aquarius
Things I Love At the Moment
Set In Lacquer

Thanks for reading! ♥



*PR product provided for my honest review





.

5 comments :

  1. These are gorgeous and Hootenanny is STUNNING! great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are all beautiful, and I now need them all in my life.

    Jazz x

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are gorgeous! Ash, your swatches are wonderful! The glitter shots of Hootenanny are really great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hootenanny - what a great name! Love the color, too. I like the square glitter Shindig, as well. And I can understand what you mean about Gathering - it is so hard to capture shimmer!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from you but please remember to be respectful. Any comments left with unsolicited advertising or blog links will be deleted. If you would like me to check out your blog or product, please email me. Thank you!

09 10