Tuesday, September 27, 2016

31 Day Challenge: Day 23 - Psycho



Hello everyone! My next prompt in the 31 Day Challenge is "inspired by a movie" and I chose one of my favorites to take inspiration from! I love old movies, one of my favorite genres is the old thriller/mystery movies. When I was around 10 or 12, I discovered Alfred Hitchcock and made it my mission to see all of his movies so I spent a lot of time at video stores hunting down all the VHS tapes! (Yes, I'm that old.) I love everything he's done and his movies are among my favorites that I can watch over and over again. One of them is the classic, Psycho




My initial thought when I decided to do nail art based on Psycho was to try to do the house, but that seemed too difficult. Maybe someday when I have 52 hours to do nail art I'll take a stab at it. Hahaha. But the one scene that everyone remembers from this movie is, of course, the shower scene. I knew I had to attempt Norman as "Mother" getting ready to stab poor Marion Crane. I initially just did the silhouette but it seemed to be missing something so I showed my bestie and she said well you need the water in front of him too. Well duh, Ashley! Of course you need the water effect. I'm so glad I added that because it added exactly what it needed to complete the look! Then of course the classic Bates Motel sign and some blood for added effect. 

I used mostly acrylic paint for this mani. My black base was Salon Perfect Oil Slick and the base of my ring finger is Glisten and Glow OG Snowman. I topped it off with Girly Bits What a Rush and KBShimmer Oh Matte!. After adding Oh Matte! I went back in with What a Rush on top of the blood to make it shiny again. 



I did this based on the classic version of the film, as I already stated. I never saw the remake they did a few years ago. I tend to detest remakes, especially when it's one of my favorites and there was no need for it to be remade! I do, however, LOVE the series Bates Motel with Freddie Highmore. Since it was a prequel, rather than a remake, I decided to give it a shot and I'm really glad I did. Freddie does Anthony Perkins' portrayal justice and the story is fantastic. I think Alfred Hitchcock would have loved it.




If you haven't seen Psycho, I highly recommend checking it out. It's the reason nobody wants to take a shower in a hotel with a shower curtain. It's also the reason I have a strict no-Norman policy when it comes to dating. ;)

Edited to add: I am laughing at myself because apparently I did a Psycho-inspired manicure in 2012 for the very same prompt the first time I did the 31 Day Challenge! It is pretty bad, but nice to see my nail art has improved in the last 4 years! Here is the link if you want to take a look. And yes, I did the blood drips before I even knew I did blood drips for this movie 4 years ago.


Thanks for reading and happy polishing!



.

2 comments :

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from you but please remember to be respectful. Any comments left with unsolicited advertising or blog links will be deleted. If you would like me to check out your blog or product, please email me. Thank you!

09 10